HBGF Education Series
A garden is a grand teacher. It teaches patience and careful watchfulness; it teaches industry and thrift; above all it teaches entire trust. –Gertrude Jeckyll
Plant Propagation, Instructor: Terry Kramer
Learn about materials and methods used to propagate plants. Lecture and lab practice. If you are interested in volunteering, this class can prepare you for volunteer work in the HBGF nursery. Explore plant propagation techniques including starting new plants from cuttings, by division and from seed. Learn the secrets of Terry’s success! FREE to members & non-members
Saturday, June 8, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
Bring Your Own Bouquet & Learn to Make Your Own Arrangement, Instructor Andreina Torma
Learn to use the tricks and tools of the trade, bring your own flowers, and create a bouquet, using your new knowledge, vases and other materials provided by HBGF. FREE to members/$10 non-members
Tuesdays, June 11 & 18, 12-2 p.m.
Fast Food, Slow Food: Growing a Year ‘Round Kitchen, Instructor: Terry Kramer
Learn how to grow an organic, low maintenance kitchen garden year ’round. Emphasis will be on raised beds, no till techniques and containers. Topics will include feeding the soil, recycling potting soil, choosing fertilizers, preventing pests, growing with seeds and starts, selecting varieties and timing crops. This is an active, hands-on class. We will meet at the Humboldt Botanical Gardens near the College of the Redwoods campus. Bring water, a pen and notebook, wear garden clothes and a sun hat. $40 members/$65 non-members SIGN UP THROUGH OLLI: Osher Lifelong Learning Institute
Saturday, June 15, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
Formal Gardens & Native Plants Landscape Design, Instructor: Janna Snell
Study design principles of formal gardens juxtaposed with native plants. Study both the Dedekam Ornamental Terrace Garden and the Lost Coast Brewery Native Plant Garden. Learn how to express your garden ideas on paper using informal drafting techniques, collage, drawing and coloring. Practice a creativity exercise. Create a scale drawing of a 40’x80’ residential, formal garden. Materials will be provided. Students are welcome to stay after the class and continue working until 2 p.m. FREE to members, $10 non-members Class Sponsored by PLAN Landscape Design
Saturday, June 29, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
Designing for Wildlife
Study design principles attractive to birds, bees, butterflies and people. Learn how to express your garden ideas on paper using informal drafting techniques, collage, drawing and coloring. Practice a creativity exercise. Create a scale drawing of a small garden or garden bed designed for wildlife. Materials will be provided. Bring images of your favorite gardens. Receive a list of Sunset Zone 14 and 17 plants beneficial to local wildlife. FREE to members/$10 non-members Class sponsored by Garden Visions & PLAN Landscape Design
Saturday, July 13, 10-11 a.m.
Pilates for Gardeners & Friends of Gardeners
All that bending forward, lifting and pulling and digging is really hard on the back. Pilates for Gardeners will alleviate back pain and discomfort, simple exercises strengthen the lower back and hip muscles and then stabilize them in the correct position.
Follow a Pilates workout to help increase your strength, flexibility, posture and mental awareness. Routine will be specially designed for gardeners and will include a take home sheet of exercises. Bring a towel, blanket or mat and water. Class will be held on the lawn. FREE to members/$10 non-members Class sponsored by Arcata Core Pilates Studio
Saturdays July 13-August 10 & August 24, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
Beginning Botanical Drawing
This workshop focuses on learning to observe and draw plants accurately. Students will learn about pencil techniques and how to use different hard and soft pencils as well as pen and ink medium. Final projects will be developed into detailed renderings. Students will also study compositional layouts. Some art supplies are provided, some must be purchased by students. $10 members/$30 non-members
Saturday, July 20, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
Learn what you need to know to actually GO birdwatching, including picking a field guide, optics, how to dress and hints on finding birds in the field. FREE to members/$10 non-members Class sponsored by Strictly for the Birds
Wednesday, July 24, 10-11 a.m.
Yoga for Gardeners & Friends of Gardeners
Follow a yoga workout to help increase your strength, flexibility, posture and mental awareness. Routine will be specially designed for gardeners and will include a take home sheet of exercises. Bring a towel, blanket or mat and water. Class will be held on the lawn. FREE to members/$10 non-members Class sponsored by NorthStar Yoga CenterMORE CLASSES TO COME!
Humboldt Botanical Garden proudly partners with Humboldt State University Extended Education and OLLI: Osher Lifelong Learning Institute to create fun and interesting learning opportunities at the garden for students of all ages. Look for more HBGF Olli Classes beginning in this Winter.
- Design-Work, Business Owner & Landscape Designer
- Former HBGF Board Member
- Local gardening expert with over 3 decades of experience
- Author, Insects of the Pacific Northwest
- Teacher, HSU Extension
- Retired from the Humboldt County Agricultural Commissioner’s Office
- KEET Kids Program Director
- Head Gardener, Humboldt Botanical Garden
- BA, HSU
- Retail Nursery Owner & Operator
- Humboldt Music Academy Faculty
- BA Chemistry, Clark University
- MA Chemistry, UC Berkeley
- MS Teaching Credential, HSU
- Humboldt Music Academy Faculty
- Local Musician
- Retired Wildlife Biologist
- Research, USFS
- Research Biological Technician, USDA Forest Service
- Vice President, Redwood Region Audubon Society
- Strictly for the Birds, Eureka Business Owner & Bird Expert
- BA, University of Nebraska at Lincoln
- Landscape Architecture, UC Berkeley Extension
- PLAN Landscape Design, Business Owner & Landscape Designer
- HBGF Board Member
- Northstar Yoga Center, Business Owner & Yoga Instructor
- Free-Lance Artist & Painting and Drawing Instructor
- Certificate in Textile and Surface Design, Otis College of Art and Design Los Angeles Extension
- BA in Studio Art, Humboldt State University
- Additional Training: Huntington Gardens in San Marino, and with Anne Marie Evans in England
- Founding member of Botanical Artist’s Guild of Southern California
- Rhododendron Expert
- National Rhododendron Society Board Member
- Former HBGF Board Member
- Instructor, College of the Redwoods
- Garden Visions, Business Owner & Landscape Designer
- Arcata Core Pilates Studio, Business Owner & Pilates Instructor