HBGF Education Series
A garden is a grand teacher. It teaches patience and careful watchfulness; it teaches industry and thrift; above all it teaches entire trust. –Gertrude Jeckyll
Class sizes are limited, fill out the online class sign up form or contact us. Garden admission is included in the price of each class. Classes meet in the Sun Valley Greenhouse unless otherwise noted.
Every Thursday GREEN TEAM Plant Propagation, Instructor: Terry Kramer
10 a.m.-12 p.m.
Learn about materials and methods used to propagate plants. Lecture and lab practice. If you are interested in volunteering, this class can prepare you for volunteer work in the HBGF nursery. Explore plant propagation techniques including starting new plants from cuttings, by division and from seed. Learn the secrets of Terry’s success! FREE to members & non-members, Instructor: Terry Kramer
DECEMBER 7 Mele Kalikimaka! Instructor: Bruce Palmer
11 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Are you a plant lover? If so, please join Humboldt Botanical Garden at the first presentation in our new series “Plants and Gardens of the United States and around the World”. The garden’s own Bruce Palmer (and Eureka Rhody Chapter president) is an Emeritus Professor of Biology from the University of Hawaii now living in Humboldt County and an active HBGF volunteer and former Board Member. His love of plants will shine through as he discusses how native plants got to the island of Maui before the Polynesians, what they had to contend with when they arrived, and how they adapted in unique ways to the unusual habitats.
His pictures are almost as good as a Hawaiian vacation!
JANUARY 4 Mushrooms, Instructor: Joann Olson
More information coming soon.MORE CLASSES TO COME!
Humboldt Botanical Garden proudly partners with Humboldt State University Extended Education and OLLI: Osher Lifelong Learning Institute to create fun and interesting learning opportunities at the garden for students of all ages. Look for more HBGF Olli Classes beginning in this Winter.
- Kendra Cross of Humboldt Herbals is an herbalist, an entrepreneur and an intuitive artist with essential oils and plants. She loves to study and share both the powerful and subtle ways that plants can be incorporated into ones life to heal the body, mind, spirit, and emotion. Kendra is a certified herbalist through Dandelion Herbal Center and has her BA from Humboldt State University. She is a local yoga instructor, musician, dancer and teacher. Kendra is an eternal student of ancient and contemporary healing techniques and looks forward to offering her healing services and herbal creations, Essence of the Goddess*, to the community in the near future.
- Design-Work, Business Owner & Landscape Designer
- Former HBGF Board Member
- Local gardening expert with over 3 decades of experience
- Author, Insects of the Pacific Northwest
- Teacher, HSU Extension
- Retired from the Humboldt County Agricultural Commissioner’s Office
- KEET Kids Program Director
- Head Gardener, Humboldt Botanical Garden
- BA, HSU
- Retail Nursery Owner & Operator
- Humboldt Music Academy Faculty
- BA Chemistry, Clark University
- MA Chemistry, UC Berkeley
- MS Teaching Credential, HSU
- Humboldt Music Academy Faculty
- Local Musician
- Retired Wildlife Biologist
- Research, USFS
- Research Biological Technician, USDA Forest Service
- Vice President, Redwood Region Audubon Society
- Strictly for the Birds, Eureka Business Owner & Bird Expert
- Mushroom Expert
- Mary Roberts is an avid hiker and loves to explore the natural world. Her breadth of interests and inclination to learn is reflected in the multiple disciplines she studied at HSU. She attained minors in Philosophy, Women Studies, and Studio Art, but it was Mary’s irresistible passion for taxonomy that allowed her to thrive in plant identification courses and inspired her to attain a BS in Botany. She not only loves to learn about the botanical world but she also deeply enjoys sharing her knowledge with others.
- BA, University of Nebraska at Lincoln
- Landscape Architecture, UC Berkeley Extension
- Landscape Designer
- HBGF Board Member
- Northstar Yoga Center, Business Owner & Yoga Instructor
- Free-Lance Artist & Painting and Drawing Instructor
- Certificate in Textile and Surface Design, Otis College of Art and Design Los Angeles Extension
- BA in Studio Art, Humboldt State University
- Additional Training: Huntington Gardens in San Marino, and with Anne Marie Evans in England
- Founding member of Botanical Artist’s Guild of Southern California
- Andreina’s lifelong passion for nature and plants may have begun when her great grand-mother taught her to say her very first word: “flower.” Since then, she has always enjoyed the great outdoors, no matter the weather or the climate, and worked as a floral designer for a year and a half.
- Rhododendron Expert
- National Rhododendron Society Board Member
- Former HBGF Board Member
- Instructor, College of the Redwoods
- Garden Visions, Business Owner & Landscape Designer
- Arcata Core Pilates Studio, Business Owner & Pilates Instructor
- Marea Zendran of Humboldt Herbals is a Clinical Ayurvedic Specialist, Herbalist and Nutrition Counselor. She graduated from the California College of Ayurveda where she learned to assess the individual needs of a person based on their constitution, lifestyle and nutritional needs. She is a lifelong student of herbalism, nutrition and yoga. She has worked diligently to understand the ability of the human body to heal itself, as well as learning to understand the healing properties of the fascinating world of herbal medicine. She recognizes that this is a lifelong journey and commitment, and is fascinated, on a daily basis, by the medicinal gifts that the plants have to offer. She offers private consultations by appointment. She is a musician, a dedicated yoga student, works on a part-time basis with special education children, and feels blessed to be on the staff at Humboldt Herbals, to share in the wisdom of an incredible collective of dedicated and knowledgeable herbalists.